Third grade is a very exciting year filled with many adventures and much learning.
Among the many things your child will learn this year are:
- Read and understand a range of materials such asmagazines, poetry, and plays.
- Read 25 books for entertainment and information.
- Tell the setting, characters, problems and solutionsafter reading a book.
- Write paragraphs and stories.
- Write letters, announcements, and news stories.
- Give and follow directions that involved several stepssuch as baking cookies or going home from school.
- Use cursive handwriting.
- Organize mathematical information using pictures andcharts.
- Create graphs and tables and use them to drawconclusions and make predictions.
- Read, write, and compare numbers to 1 million.
- Use concrete objects or diagrams to solve problemsinvolving mathematics, arrangements or routes.
- Add and subtract 3 digit numbers without carryingnumbers.
- Learn multiplication through twelve.
- Divide objects into equal fractional parts.
- Add decimals to the hundredths place.
- Create new patterns and complete existing ones.
- Describe 2 and 3 dimensional shapes.
- Recognize and use a growing number of words in reading, writing and speaking.